Every Day an Adventure

This morning has been pretty busy with so much happening in school before the end of term.  We fell a bit behind the week we moved so poor Katie had to really pick up the pace and push through quite a bit of material.  She has been a trouper though and is really working hard on her focus.

We have been without medication the past two weeks while our insurance catches up with the government shut down that has caused us so much headache.  Katie struggles a lot without it but she is truly working hard to do her best.  The ADD still rears its ugly head in the afternoon but the protein bars or peanut butter on toast help to control the spacey moments.  She is turning into such an excellent student, math and history have quickly become two of her favorite subjects.  She has recently discovered that reading can be fun  and has started to read chapter books with excitement and no tears.

Brooklyn is enjoying Kindergarten and is blowing through the curriculum.  I am going to start including a bit of Hooked on Phonics back into her day.  The K12 program is not as challenging as I believe Brooklyn needs right now and would like to push her a little more than the program is currently doing.  She is very smart, a little too smart for her own good at times.  She has discovered her six year old self and the attitude that comes with it.  We have recently had to work with her on her manners and the "no" word.  She has a tendency to laugh at the most inappropriate time.  I am quickly discovering it's a nervous habit and have had to change tactics a bit.  She loves to snuggle and is continually seeking approval.

I recently noticed a bit of competition happening in the classroom with the two of them.  Things like "Brooklyn you don't write as neat as I do." and "Katie doesn't finish her work as fast as I do."  It looks like even in homeschool the desire to outshine someone else is pretty strong.  I am looking into some literature for it.  I think a little competition is healthy but I also want them both to know that I care for them equally and that their differences are a good thing.  In the meantime I have started a "I caught you doing something good" jar.  They get to put a puff ball in when I find them saying or doing something kind for the other or anyone else in the family.  We introduced it at our latest FHE and the kids are all excited now, I'll let you know in a few weeks if it is working. :-)

Travis is working hard with the recruiting and is finding it rewarding but also a challenge.  He amazes me how he blossoms under pressure.  He and I are so different in that area.  He steps up to the challenge and grows every day.  Under the same pressure I am sure I would buckle.  I was falling apart a few days ago worrying about finances and he came in with such a calming spirit.  He is always the rock that grounds me and keeps me going.  I hope that I am that for him, he is always so kind and full of compliments about my daily tasks so I am inclined to believe he feels the same way.  I feel like our marriage is teamwork at its best.  I don't mean to say we don't fight, we do that with the best of them but we are honest and I think that is important.

Preston is our soon to be three year old and living up to his age.  He rules the roost and is quite the stubborn little man but he is sweet and keeps his sisters on their toes. He doesn't say a lot and I am starting to get concerned about his speech but again government insurance has its hurdles. ;/

Well that's all for today my friends back to one more history lesson and then laundry.  I hope you find your sunshine today!

Jen


1 comment:

  1. I am very happy to add that Katie was invited to the class on track party this evening. She was able to work an extra hour every day since Thursday and was able to get caught up in her studies. She is now very excited to be a part of the class party and told me tonight that "hard work is worth it, hu Mom?". Yes my sweet Katie Hard work is worth it. :-)

    ReplyDelete